Clear all

Basics for a statistics start for a new country

2 Posts
2 Users
1 Likes
Karsten Brumme
Topic starter
(@karstenbrumme)

Rugby League is about to start in Switzerland (depending on CoVid rules)

I would like to get around the main errors you encountered, so what are the important things to look after?
I'm planing to have match sheets for every game including squads, try-scorers, goal-scores, substitudes, cards and ground infos.

Did I miss something?

1 Reply
1 Reply
Neil Ormston
Admin
(@neilormston)

Posted by: @karstenbrumme

Rugby League is about to start in Switzerland (depending on CoVid rules)

I would like to get around the main errors you encountered, so what are the important things to look after?
I'm planing to have match sheets for every game including squads, try-scorers, goal-scores, substitudes, cards and ground infos.

Did I miss something?

If you're starting from scratch, and have the time & inclination, and it's not too onerous to manage, and you can find the information, I would go as broad as you can: squad numbers (if used), match officials, head coach, time of substitutions, time of scores would be the natural extensions to what you list @karstenbrumme.

However, I think the challenges here come from other areas, that are much more easily managed at the time than retrospectively: so tracking players as they move between clubs & capturing the narrative of the season as you progress.  More generally, defining the rules of what is in scope from a match perspective or not, or grading matches: so you will probably capture league matches, but not friendlies, but there might be grey areas that need a decision.  Again, easier to record all the info at the time relating to these, so as not to need to gather retrospectively.

Good luck, and enjoy!  Great to be there at the start, as it gives you a chance of capturing something complete and very accurate - keep us posted on your progress 😀 

Share: